1.21.2008

the end of an era


It was a SAD moment when I heard that the original Mattas was closing down. I have so many memories of that place! Mattas was where we could be found 90% of the time when we ditched during high school - I mean, when we took long lunches. I never ditched. It's where our family could be found eating dinner when my dad went out of town (since he doesn't like Mexican food). Every time we heard that he was leaving town, we'd all be excited because we knew we'd be going to Mattas. I think of the many many times that my friends & I went there on the weekends - sometimes for dinner, and sometimes when they opened their doors at 11am (oink oink)! It was where Auburn & Bryan's wedding luncheon was held, and it was where we just had a luncheon for my mom's 50th birthday. In fact, my mom's 8 year old birthday dinner was at Mattas. It's been around forever & I can't believe it's closing. It's a dang good thing that the one on Higley isn't closing down. too, although it's just not the same as the experience of the original Mattas on Main Street. Nobody's chips & salsa come close to Mattas and I don't know what I'd do if I wasn't able to satisfy my cravings still.

Just this past week, my dad was out of town so of course on my mom's night for dinner, she got Mattas (Wednesday). The very next day - Thursday - is when we found out that it was closing down. So, my mom, me, Suzanne & Lance, and the kids of course - headed to Mattas for one last sit-down dinner at the original restaraunt. We got there around 7:30 and there was a 2 hour wait. Since the Higley location will still be open, we weren't that desperate to wait 2 hours. We just went to El Charro instead! The point of my story is that the next night we were telling Auburn about it and she said "You guys had Mattas 2 nights in a row?" Suzanne said, "No, we just tried." Then Auburn's reply back was "In Fatty Town, that's all that matters" (that we tried to eat Mattas 2 nights in a row). Oh my gosh, maybe you had to be there but I cannot stop laughing about it. In fact I am all alone right now and I have tears because I'm laughing so hard.

11 comments:

•stephanie• said...

good thing the real, true mexican food joint - EL CHARRO - is staying open. hurray!

Sandi said...

I heard it's moving to the Mesa Riverview on Dobson and the 202!

Suzy Cummard said...

HA HA HA!! I am also dying.
Cause when I was jogging today, I kept thinking
"It's your own fault from eating the way you did."
It wasn't so funny when I was trying to work out. {WAA WAA}

OH the "ditching" days.. even though "you never did". You PERFECT little angel!!! HA HA.

Remember the time your & your REBEL friends decided to go to Matta's when my Spanish class had already started?
(SO SAD.)
You came and asked to talk to me outside.
I had the nicest Spanish teacher & when I came back in the room, he asked
"Is everything o.k.?"
I didn't know what to say.
I couldn't say, "Well my lunch ride is ditching, & I need to go with them or else I won't know what to do.".... SO...
(so sad)
I looked at him & just said
"I have to go."
He said
"o.k. I hope everything is o.k."
I felt so bad, & obviously I still do. He was so nice. If I knew how to find him, I would tell him sorry for that!!

AND then there's the times during high school when we ate so much there, that when we were done, we ordered AGAIN.

I really hope Auburn isn't reading this!! She will have more to say to us about our BAD HABITS!!! HA HA.

I need to remember I can't keep eating like you. My body doesn't look like yours, it never will....
(Can I get another WAA WAA for myself?)

You forgot to give a shout out for the "Meriacha" (sp?) band. They will be greatly missed. Esp. when they sing our fav. song! You know it... but I can not spell it.

(You don't spell it son, you eat it.)

Suzy Cummard said...

Sour cream buffet (boo-fay) or BUST!!!

That was for Auburn.

Unknown said...

Nice longest comment ever Suzanne. I actually don't remember the time that we pulled you out of Spanish class but that is hilarious! I don't remember it because all I remember was being a perfect angel. I do remember ordering seconds though - not because we were hungry but because it was SOOO good (fatties)! What about the time that I supposedly asked someone to a dance when we ditched with that person & went to Mattas? I think you & my friends had the workers ask over the loud speaker and I was like "what???"

Alisse Baldwin said...

In fattytown, that IS all that matters.

Jade said...

Hey there! i can't remember if i've left a comment to you before, but i was blog surfing and thought i'd drop a note. I had no idea matta's was closing. i think that is the saddest news i've heard in a while. what ever will we do??? Your little Noah is soooo very adorable. so, how are you? are your parent's still in harmony park ward??
I linked you to my blog
http://jarvis5.blogspot.com. hope it is okay. tell me if not.

Alisse Baldwin said...

You're a nerd! The second song is from "Rent" The Musical on Broadway. Have you never heard it? I totally love it.

Alisse Baldwin said...

Oh, and did you know that now my profile says my blog & noah's?

Alisse Baldwin said...

Ok, sorry you thought you had friends, but it's just me again. I figured out how to change it so that my profile only shows my blog. Not that you care! But once again, this gave you something to do for 15 seconds while at work, so you can thank me kindly for that later.

angiedunn said...

would you hate me if i said i've never been there before?

or would you just feel very sorry for me? because i kinda feel sorry for myself after this post...it sounds amazing.

RIP...it will be missed by many, i hear.