6.20.2007

Bitter Sweet...

This is my little "bee-bee" with what used to be his essential items: binky, blankets, & sippy. We seriously could not go anywhere without these things. But then a few months ago, he stuffed his blankets (old gross burp rags) behind my headboard & hasn't ever asked me to get them - so I'm not going to. Sometimes he looks back there and sees them but I guess he doesn't miss them. Within that same week we did away with binkies. I already can't remember how but I think 1 of them was chewed on so much that there was nothing left for him to suck on, and then I told him the other ones were lost.

Anyway, my little boy is not a BABY anymore - it actually makes me pretty sad. I still love to cuddle with him and try to hold him & talk to him like a baby. But he usually gives me this look like "what are you doing?" and squirms out of my arms.

He's wearing underwear!
It has been 8 days now since I started potty training Noah. My niece Ellie has tried to potty train him many times before (even though she's only 7 months older), but I just wasn't ready to deal with it. I guess Noah was because as soon as I decided to just do it & get it over with, he did so good! A few weeks ago on a Saturday night I was changing a diaper & I said, none of the boys in your nursery class go poop in their diapers. They all wear underwear. Immediately he wanted underwear and not diapers, especially because he knew the next morning he'd be going to nursery. I didn't want to start on a Sunday and have a mess to clean up at church, and Monday I was going to work, so I held off until Tuesday. Like I said - it's been 8 days and he has only had 1 accident. He peed in his pants, and before I even knew it, he took off his shorts & underwear, and came to me and said "I want a bath". So that's a good sign that he doesn't like what it feels like when he has an accident. I dread dealing with the other kind of accident but let's just hope he continues to do as good as he has so far. So far I feel really lucky with how potty training is going!
So the point of my BITTER SWEET post is that I miss having a baby but I don't miss changing diapers!

10 comments:

Becky said...

WOW! That IS impressive! GO NOAH! My sister is working with her two year old little girl and she just doesnt really care! Tough! I dont look forward to this day! But i hear you on the growing up thing. I cant believe Mylie is already 9 months old...she is not my little baby anymore. She wont let me hold and cuddle her anymore! so sad, but fun to watch her learn and grow i do say! :) Tell Steve Hi, did you know our hubbies served in the same area?

Alisse Baldwin said...

"Mama's baby" (imagine in Shalae's ugliest voice ever- worse than my Target lady voice) is all grown up! He was so excited to show me his monkey underwear the other day. Noah just does things on his own time, I guess. He's the cutest little genius child ever!

Unknown said...

maybe noah and ellie can teach carter! ha ha! actually... she's trying really hard. she called us yesterday to tell us she had NO accidents! woo hoo! {but that was only one day... let's not get too excited!}

Suzy Cummard said...

Dang Alisse took my thought!
MAMMAS BABY! That was all I could think of!

Congrats Noah. I am a very proud 1/2 mom... BUT Ellie on the other hand, could not be more proud! She thinks she is the reason Noah is potty trained... she trained him well. She can not stop talking about "Noah goes poop on the toilet & he wears big boy underwear." She is beaming with pride.
Every kid is different & does things when they are ready!
Love you Noah Boy!

Auburn said...

I am happy for you, but it's not fair. Potty training Riggs was one of the hardest things I've ever done. They say you can't push them until they are ready, but 31/2 should be ready! I just remember him pooping on the fancy floor at Bloomingfields when we were looking at stuff for Susan's wedding. I thought I was going to die!

chris+amber said...

WHAT?! I can't believe he's old enough to wear undies. CONGRATS! I hear boys are harder to potty train than girls. I hope Tate get potty trained as early as Noah! If there is one thing I don't miss about babyhood, it'd be diapers, HANDS DOWN! YAY for Noah!

angiedunn said...

aw, that is bitter sweet! it's like it keeps getting more fun, but you miss the good ol' days too. i hear ya girl, i hear ya. {noah's adorable as a big or little boy.}

Sparks Fam said...

i'm jealous of your easy-to-potty-train child. next time, i'm signing up for one of those.

See it Try it Love it said...

I remember a year ago being over at your moms house and Noah was pooping on the toilet, with Suzie and Ellie cheering him on.

Annie Randall said...

I am jelous... I have the same exact problem with Gunner and that seemed way too easy! I am totally procrastinating the whole thing because it is way too convenient... maybe next month!